Tuesday 3 November 2015

Man Ridiculed By Family For Pretending to Have A Vague Interest In Boney M's Music

A man who pretended to have a vague interest in Boney M's music to please his family, yesterday admitted to his dad that he had been lying all along.

Devon Adams from Kenilworth in Cape Town had been fed Boney M tunes since childhood. His parents would play the music occasionally. But it's around the festive season, when Boney M's legendary Christmas hits are belted out, that things became a bit unbearable for Devon. 

"The only thing that kept me from totally losing it was when I pictured the way they look in the music videos.... That man with the spindly legs and afro... I laughed in my head. That would ease the tension somewhat.
Devon Adams can't stand Boney M's music

"My dad loved  the band so much. He even dubbed himself 'Daddy Cool'. I pretended to laugh when he called himself that because I knew that he was anything but. 

"My interest in the band is non existent, and I pretended to have a vague interest in the music by nodding my head to the beat and smiling. This went on for 18 years since the age of 6. Who would enjoy listening to a band with a name that sounds like a font type anyway?

"When moving out of my folks' home last week, I made the mistake of insisting that they keep all the Bone M albums. My dad knew at that point that I didn't really like the band. 

"I should've just taken it and hidden it in a place where they would find it after I've moved to the UK. I've been ridiculed now by both of my siblings, my parents and most of the extended family from both sides."


No comments:

Post a Comment