Thursday 27 August 2015

Interview: Joel Vice

In an interview with British celebrity gossip magazine OK! in 2007, Phillip Vice claimed that, from the age of 8, his son Joel would never go through a conversation without quoting lines from popular songs. Joel eventually fulfilled his vocational ambition by joining British band Linen as their lead singer. 

True to the Linen tagline "we do covers", the band only performs cover versions of existing songs. This presents Joel a platform to do what he does best, which is quoteRoobish arranged a brief chat with the serial quotesman ahead of their concert this Friday evening at the Bellville Velodrome in Cape Town...


 




Linen lead singer, Joel Vice



Roobish: Hi. How are you doing?
Joel Vice: I'm doing just fine, getting along very well without you in my life. I don't need you in my life. I'm doing just fine. Time made me stronger; you're no longer on my mind.


R: Ummm.. Okay. By the way, I'm a fan of Linen
JV: I say a little prayer for you.

R: The band recently  released an album that's been getting rave reviews internationally. Linen is evidently doing quite well. What can the success be attributed to?
JV: It's all about the Benjamins, baby.

R: So you say it's all about the money?
JV: It’s all about the money. It’s all about the dum dum duh de dum dum. I don’t think it’s funny.


R: Apologies for laughing. Let us in on the band’s schedule... Are there any international tours lined up for the rest of the year?
JV: Around the world around the world around the world around the world around the world around the world…. (goes on for 7 minutes)

R: It's been said that you are the best dancer in the band and you're known for heating up the dance floor. Is this true?
JV: They call me hotstepper.

R: The band is tasting succes. Though, as with every solo artist, group and band, I believe there might have been some sort of failure along the way. Has Linen experienced any failure?
JV: Ba de ya, never was a cloudy day.

R: Wow. That’s superhuman.
JV: I’ve got my pride, I will not cry. But it’s making me weak. I’m not your superwoman.

R: No; I said “superhuman”, not “superwoman”.
JV: Sorry seems to be the hardest word.


R: When the band started out in 2004, you were quoted saying that you prefer organic recording methods as opposed to the use of Auto-Tune. What has changed since then, and why do you choose to use Auto-Tune now?
JV: That's just the way it is, things'll never be the same. That's just the way it is.

R: Any advice you'd like to give aspiring artists?
JV:
Don't blame it on the sunshine. Don't blame it on the moonlight. Don't blame it on the good times. Blame it on the boogie.

R: Anything else?
JV: 
Don't go chasing waterfalls.

R: How do you deal with the usual stress that comes with the job; things such as long hours of recording, touring, etc?
JV:  Day by day, let's take it all a little at a time.


R: Your wife recently gave birth to a boy. What sort of future do you and your wife have envisioned for him?
JV: I believe the children are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way.


R: You met your wife at a coffee shop in London. What were your first words to her?
JV: If you wanna be my lover, you've gotta get with my friends.

R: You're away from home. Do you miss her?
JV: Like the deserts miss the rain.

R: Chicken or beef?
JV: If you don't know me by now, you will never ever know me oooooooooooooo.

R: You're a busy man, so I'll end the interview here.
JV: We've only just begun

R: I have to respect your time. I promised to make the interview quick.
JV:  I see the clock up on the wall but it don't bother me at all. These are ever-changing times.

R: It’s okay. Thanks for your time, Joel. I wish you and the band all the best for the future. It’s been great chatting. Cheers.
JV: Although we’ve come to the end of the road, still I can’t let go.

R: I said goodbye.
JV: Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate; baby I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake. I shake it off, I shake it off.




No comments:

Post a Comment